Wednesday 23 May 2007

Wednesday's Work

To continue where we were yesterday, and on a little lighter note....It is hard to know when we are living lavishly, at least when we compare it to others in our society. Unfortunately we always seem to compare ourselves with everyone else. That is not the right way either. We can't worry about the person next to us in church (Yeah I know, I don't fit this illustration at this time). What I mean is we need to be aware of what God wants for myself, because what he is saying to me may not be the same thing he is saying to you. There is some stuff that he says to all of us but when it comes to what he wants from us as individuals, there will be differences. For instance, he may call Amanda to be a missionary, and call Su-ann to be a prayer warrior, and Mike to be a financial supporter of missions (These are only examples) . The list can go on and on. He does not call us to just one thing. He has given each of us different gifts that we are to use, not bury in the ground or hide under the bed. The gifts that each of you have are a benefit to me and others, even though you may not see it. So if you don't know what your gifts are, I think it is important to find out what they are and use them.

Some day this week when it works best for you/me try doing this little exercise.... live your day as you normally would, then at the end of the day, look back at what happened (as much as possible) and critique what took place. The good stuff and the bad stuff, the said and not said, the did or didn't do, the shoulda, the woulda and the coulda. The doormat times and the in your face confrontations (maybe you didn't have these but maybe you thought about it). Then take it to God...thank Him for all the things he did through us and then ask forgiveness for the times when we really screwed up, and then think how we can better improve those similar situations next time, cause sure as stuff, there will always be next times, and next challenges. Just like in a small group we need to be able to come to each other to share stuff with (I think this may take time with some and probably most, because there is always that issue of trust and how much do I dare share). Then maybe on the weekend, if you have had time to do this little exercise we can discuss it more. Love to hear your thoughts here. Would it be beneficial? More importantly, would we learn and grow from it?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike.
I already review the days... only I don't wait until the end of the day, espeically when I am dealing with all the crap up here. I decide to review minute by minute, and feel guilty of failure-ish immediately. After all, why put off until bed time what i can worry about right now! Can you tell I've had a run-in already with both of the twins?? Gee I love when they are here together, life is so fun and happy and encouraging (CAUTION... EXTREME SARCASM INSERTED). I think the Pharisees could have taken lessons from the twins.
However. Charles Swindoll noted that we are to compare ourselves... with Christ. And then imitate Him. We aren't to compare wiht what the person beside us has or has not, we are to compare our lives in view of what Jesus experienced. and then we can better imitate him. Not sure how this fits with what you've written.
sr

Mike said...

It fits. Everyone has their own way, some it is minute by minute, some day by day (they should write a song called Day by Day) oops digressing again. Some at the end of their life when it is too late, and they wish they had done certain things differently. Well I am not at that point where I am waiting till the end of my life to make those changes or talk about regrets. Sometimes I think to myself immediately, "Why did do/say that?" Of Why didn't I do something or say something", sometimes it does not hit me til later. Thank God there is forgiveness everytime we ask.

Sure is a quiet blog night. Must be the lousy weather here. +3 and rain, Grrrrrrrr and BRRRRRRRRR too.

Anonymous said...

Gee, Mike, you didn't even comment on my severe sarcasm earlier. I am NOT having a good day with the twins. Between the 2 of them, I am ready to quit my job. How is that for the days' end eval??

Mike said...

I am sorry to hear that your day with them was so bad. Maybe it was the extreme sarcasm. I hope you don't quit your job (unless that is what God wants), I am sure the people that you help appreciate you and what you do. That really must suck when your day is going really $#!TTy and there is no one there you can just vent to. I am glad that you confide in the group :)

I do pray that the situation improves.

Anonymous said...

hi everyone,
writing away here about A.B.... not much time to chat although that would be my preference:). Mike i see you progressively closer and closer to the edge of the wall. Take the leap my friend :)! i think of sugarland's lyric, "when the darkness tries to get me, there's a light that just won't let me." [sugarland - stand back up] [which is my bio by the way:)]I pray the light of the world will guard your heart and mind as you wrestle through.
deb

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the challenge - I'll take you up on that. I kinda wish that I could do the evaluating before - oooooooooh, the pain that could be avoided.

Given that you put me as a missionary, I just wanted to share a little bit of exciting news - we are in the process of working something out to go spend some time with the Wintermutes in 2008!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited!!!!!!
Bob and I both feel a calling - now we are just waiting for God's direction and timing. This could be a first step:)

Amanda

Anonymous said...

deb, were you as surprised as i was to learn about a.b.'s life?? I had always built up this big image in my brain, until I read about him in alliance history. pretty regular, everyday guy.
sr

Mike said...

That is really exciting news Amanda. I hope it all works out for you two.
Thanks Deb, somedays I feel close to the edge of the wall ready to leap, oops did I say to which side;)
Have a great day all.

Su-Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.