Monday 7 May 2007

Monday's Money

Ever wonder how rich we are, or wish you were rich? I suppose everyone might have a different answer when it comes to this question, based on where they are coming from or when they are asked the question. We get a pay cheque, we get by, we make our mortgage payments, pay our bills, help out the kids when we can, give to the church sometimes, always or now and then. Not really looking for your specific answers here, just kind of asking rhetorically. Went for coffee with someone last night (I would have asked all of you and we could have had small group together - just was not thinking), anyway we were talking about people in different countries (poor countries) and how the people in these countries wish they could be like us. Our answer was NO you don't want to be like us. My thinking is if these people were to come over to North America they would think WOW I have it made, I can have it all...and truth is to them they can...especially compared to what that had where they were. However, the biggest downfall as far as their Christian walk is...now they have all the material wealth they need, so (I Believe) there is a great chance that their Christian walk will suffer greatly. Most people who live in India do not have a pot to stir (sorry could not resist) but if they have God that is all that matters. There is less temptation of wealth etc to take their minds off of God.

So yeah, we are rich...but are these the riches we really want?


Answer to yesterday's riddle - Turn any one switch to the "on" position for 5 minutes, then turn that switch "off". Quickly turn any other switch to the "on" position and run up stairs. Feel the two lights that are "off". One of them will be "hot" because is was "on" for 5 minutes. Obviously the "hot" bulb is controlled by the first switch you turned "on". The light that is currently "on" is controlled by the switch you last turn "on". The "cold" bulb that is "off" is controlled by the only switch left. When solving problems we often need to use all our senses. Okay that was a hard one.

Today's riddle - What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away?

8 comments:

Melissa Denise said...

Okay Mike! I FINALLY might get to answer your riddle, which by the way I always read but never can get. Is it Charcoal????

Mike said...

WOW way to go kid. Yep you guessed right. How are things going? Good to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

we are rich - too rich. it's amazing the way you keep picking topics that bob and i have been mulling over lately. we just seem to have lots of same questions you are having lately. even when you have been talking about your brother - my dad who was taken by cancer at an early age has been on my mind more than usually the last couple of months.

did you have a good time with your billets????

amanda

Melissa Denise said...

Hey Mike! All is good in my world. Did you see the update of my baby on my blog! It's growing :) I am feeling better too, and really busy with work. Want to sell your house??? I can tell you it would be gone in a matter of hours!!! Let me know when you want me to list it ;) I will give you a good deal!

Anonymous said...

...finishing the videos. I love martina too. all her stuff is great but this one just happens to be my most current anthem.

in my mind the only thing that makes one rich is that deep and abiding peace that God grants undeserving sloths such as i. money in itself is not bad. i have known people with great wealth but did not let it become their god and i have known those with very little money and yet money was their god. ... i have known those with lots of money and it was indeed their god ... all that to say, it is not the money that leads one off the rails, it's one's attitude towards the money. i could be wrong as scripture does say it is easier for the rich to go through the eye of a needle than etc...

Thanks for pouring my paint and getting all the stuff for me! see you bright and early :)[hhmmm, maybe]
deb

Anonymous said...

Thought I would see where you're at these days...Eeyore is still pondering. Good thoughts too. I actually was thinking of the whole money thing yesterday on my way to church, working through the materialistic desires that so easily rise up. I was reminded of my prayer as a new Christian, that He would only give me what I needed so that I wouldn't be reliant on my possessions and think I had no need of God. Well, He has been faithful to make me completely dependent on Him. And for that I am truly grateful. Thanks for letting me 'chat' with you, (old) :)~ friend...

Mike said...

Great to hear all your comments on here. Nice advertising job on my blog Mel, hope you are keeping busy enough and have some homes to sell. The market is just really crazy right now. P.S. Yep, I follow your blog re: the baby, soon you will have a mini van, coming to the church with your pre-school age child.

I am glad you and Bob are also having some of these questions, maybe you guys will come up with the answers :) Had a good time with the billets, slept through most of it ;)

Yeah Deb, that verse of the camel and the eye of the needle. I mean how much wealth do we need. I guess the important thing is what we do with what God gave us. Two Hmmm Hmmm's for you Deb.

Mike said...

Good to see you on here too Winnie. Long time no hear. Glad you are at the point where you are dependant on Him.