Friday 25 May 2007

Friday's Find

Ever judge a book by the cover. Usually it is the biggest mistake we can make, as we later read the book and find out that is turned out to be either the best book ever or the worst book ever. When it comes to people it is always a mistake to judge them by looking at them. Have you ever thought, "I wonder what people think of me, Do they like me?" Well, I have. Most of the time I get that feeling that their perception of me is not a positive one. My demeanor is not always the friendliest, that usually does not come out until people get to know me. The worst is when you get those times when you have met people a few times, been introduced, no deep conversation or anything, but when you see them in a different setting than the one you are used to, they turn away. Sometimes, most times when that happens it is hard to take. You feel like you are Charles Manson and then you start to think have people told them something about me that was not true? You kind of hope that is more the case, (I guess that gives them an excuse), rather than them judging solely on what they see. Worst thing about this is Christians do this also. Either look down or look away, maybe based on appearance, maybe based on what you do. Last week, someone told me (totally unnecessary) I would not hang out with so and so, because of what they are like. (I am being vague here - I am sure you can fill in the story line a little better). When I hear stuff like this from people, they have lost most if not all credibility with me. When I get to meet so and so my view of them is now unfortunately tainted by what that person said. It might be an outright lie, it also may be truthful, but what someone else sees in someone, does not mean I see it as something negative and not something so bad that I would not be friends with them over. We all have our faults (even me - no really!!! - it's true) (digressing - injecting humour). So next time you see the very nice looking book cover, and the one next to it that looks like someone threw up on it, don't take it to mean there is more value in the "pretty" one than the other. Always remember....for every finger you point at someone else, you point four at yourself. We can cause so much hurt to others by just the smallest thing we do, let alone say. Topics like these are a lot harder to blog about than Bible topics, because sometimes the latter is more opinion of what I think it is saying to me, while the former is life that happens, and sometimes can make life a lot more hell than it should be for me or anyone. Just something I needed to get off my chest, because it is something I deal with on a regular basis.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you didn't get that feeling from us at first. My first impression of you, Mike, was that you were a very private person and that you didn't talk unless you had something to say. And I wouldn't say that I thought of it as a negative thing. I am so enjoying getting to know this side of you, the talker. You have many valuable insights.

I get you when you talk about how other people's opinions can taint the way you think of someone you haven't had the opportunity to get to know yet. It is unfortunate, who knows what that person may have said or done to bring out the negative action in the other - who knows how many potential friends we miss out on.

When you said last night you make friends and then they moved - and now we should get ready to move - it is an honour to be included as a friend. Thank You. We look forward to many more friendly visits.

Gotta run - I'll check back later for other comments and maybe add a little myself.

Amanda

Anonymous said...

Mike, go ahead, judge me by my cover... but which one,, the one that hides on Sunday mornings, or the one that comes for occasional visits during the week when no one else is in the building.. the one that stood outside watching her airplane on fire an hour ago, or the one that is now so tired I can't keep my eyes open.. might have somethign to do with the fact that i've been awake now for 28 hours. So now what do you think... is she a drama queen (the plane on fire) or is she a party animal who stayed up all night and set the plane on fire (after all, it was reportedly the oxygen system that sparked). Is she the confident nurse who roams Club DJ camp? or is she the one who avoids church crowds with a passion. sr

Who we are seen to be is often spurred on by the circumstances, the people we are with, or the challenges we are faced with. So go ahead, judge me. I don't mind. By the way, was it ME you were warned to stay away from?? And now to be even nosier.. what did you guys do last night that Amanda referred to?? Did I miss a blog party because I am away at work? boohoo! hehehehe.

Melissa Denise said...

Mike, remember when you first met me and thought that we could never be friends? You thought I was a barbie doll who you would have nothing in common. But over the past years we have made a friendship that I am so happy to have, even if I don't see you hardly EVER now! But I thank you for your honesty that you share with us on the blog. The glimpses we get into your thoughts challenge us each day and make us think harder about the way we live. Even if you are my father's age (haha) and I am the same age as your son, I thank you for our friendship. You are great :)

Anonymous said...

mike in a way i was surprised by your blog b/c i can not imagine anyone not loving you on first take. you exude compassion and kindess and i think that is apparant from first contact.

as for peoople's snubs, i wonder, are they really ... or are they insecure not sure what to say... are they living inside their head & preoccupied .... OR ... perhaps they are snubbing :), just never sure on that one.

i also do not like to be around someone who habitually 'tears down' others. it is not where or who i want to be. i don't mind a very good friend confiding on occasion about a conflict they encounter or such. but i really don't want to hear negative comments on an ongoing basis. like you mike i think it is damaging and unfair.

so everyone, have a wonderful day thinking happy thoughts!
deb

Mike said...

Well to start with Su-ann re: last night, You probably won't believe it but Bob and Amanda kidnapped Marlene and I and forced us to go to Dairy Queen and kept us quiet by serving us ice cream (well me anyway). I think thats pretty much how I would interpret the evening. Sounds more interesting than just saying we went for coffee :):) Missed ya. Isn't that how it happened Amanda? Now was that person referring to you, hmmm hmmm hmmm I am sure no one has a bad word to say about you or anyone else here, and if they do , I will let them know otherwise.

Nope I did not get that feeling at all from last night. This is an ongoing thing for me :) Glad to have you as friends.

Mel, Mel Mel...well I do remember my first impression of you. Who knew I was right on the button. Our little Barbie girl right here at church. :):)

Once people get to know then they make up their minds whether they like me or not...guess that is how it should be.

Su-Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

Wow that was quite the mini sermonette. What is this about a plane on fire? You just love to leave those little sentences in their and then move on. :)~

I agree re: there are people who we need to be made aware of, but i was referring to those people who are just blatantly gossiping about someone they know, or they just don't get along with and feel no one else should either.

I can invite Barbie (actually Melissa is spelled like this :)~ )and Ken if they are available :):):)

Any evenings work for me.
I think it is you who makes the great impression on him.

Speaking of roles, take me out of my role (whatever that is) and I love to coffee and talk with friends. It may take me awhiile to disagree with them (doormat etc) but it will come in time. I find as I am getting older (okay OLD), I will speak up a little more often. Much easier in the blog but I can do it otherwise also.

P.S. Deb Thanks for the encouragement but I guess I don't see the "exuding" of those, at least on first contact.

Mel, you are invited to the BBQ. Stay in touch for details. How is that for an invite :):):)

Su-Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

yes Mike that is exactly how it went down. Bob and I kidnapped you - it was really hard pedalling our bikes with you guys on the back but we did it. And yes we forced ice cream on you.

And yes Su-Ann, I know how hard it is to type Amanda - I usually have to go back and correct it when I sign my name to an email.

Thanks for making me laugh - we had a rough day in Moose Jaw today.

Amanda

Mike said...

Hey Amanda, what happened in Moose Jaw that made for a rough day?

Anonymous said...

We had some struggles with Bob's mum - we are trying our best to make things comfortable and help her out as much as we can but nothing suits. It's been going on for a long time and it's just getting really hard to be around her.

Amanda