Tuesday 12 June 2007

Tuesday's Thrust

If you don't feel like being challenged today, you may not want to read the blog. I just finished reading the book "Revolution in World Missions", and I have been so challenged by many of the things the author is saying. In one of the chapters the author, K.P. Yohannan talks about purpose and how all of us are called for a purpose. He recounts a story of a conversation with an 8 year old boy where he asked him several questions.

"What are you doing", I asked the lad.
"I go to school".
"Why do you go to school?"
"To study."
"Why do you study?"
"To get smart." said the boy.
"Why do you want to get smart?"
"So I can get a good job."
"Why do you want to get a good job?"
" So I can make lots of money."
"Why do you want to make lots of money?"
"So I can buy food."
"Why do you want to eat?"
"To live." said the boy.
"Why do you want to live?"
At that point, the little boy thought for a minute, scratched his head, looked me in the face and said, "Sir, why do I live?" He paused for a moment in mid-thought, then gave his own sad answer, "To die!"

The question is the same for all of us: Why do we live? What is the basic purpose of your living in this world, as you claim to be a disciple of Christ? Is it to accumulate wealth, fame or fortune, etc?

No, the purpose of the believer is to obey Jesus when he said in the great commission, "Go into the world, and preach the Gospel."

If all of your concern is about your life, your job, your clothes, your children's clothes, healthy bodies, a good education, a good job and marriage, then your concerns are no different from a heathen's in Bhutan, Myanmar or India.

He then says how Jesus' goal here on earth was to do the will of the Father.

I definitely have a lot of re-examining to do in my life. This book has challenged me through-out.
If anyone would like a copy of this book let me know.

3 comments:

AR said...

Sounds like a good book, Mike, I may have to go out and buy it! I need to be continually reminded that the life we are called to as Christians is radically different from the life that the world tells us is desirable. AR( also known as the A in the A/A2 duo)

A2 said...

Aactually AR I may have an extra copy of that book. I was just thinking I may have to hunt it out.

I find it amazing at how quickly I can lose focus. I can start my day saying I want this to be a day where I live like Jesus would and most days I've blown it before breakfast!

As for purpose - On one level I seem to be questioning my purpose and on the other I know what it is - confused - don't worry I am too!

Mike said...

I think we always need to be continually reminded. There is just so much other "stuff" we would rather be doing that we lose focus.

Let me know if you find your extra copy A2? I know what you mean re: focusing. I feel my attention span is like that of Homer Simpson, very short and...hmmm now what was I saying???? DOH Might be the aspertame too!!!