Monday 18 June 2007

Monday's Map


Do you ever stop and wonder how church as we know it will change over the next say 20 years. It certainly seems that most churches are experiencing a sharp decline in attendance overall. Is it that people just don't find it relevant for them, is it because of the way Christianity is portrayed in the media, is it because there is so much other stuff we could be doing, or maybe we feel we just don't have to go (at this time I am in this group). Certainly for me, I can get enough sermons or preaching on TV or online to keep me fed for years and years. The downfall I see of not going to church is lack of fellowship (if I had tons of friends, I would probably not miss out on that) and another downfall is whatever gifts I possess would not be used (at least not in the fellowship of the church). I would love to ask people who don't go to church why they don't go. Obviously if you are not a Christian then why would you go, but for those who profess to be Christians, then why are they not going. For me, at this time there are many reasons I don't go. Honestly I find it boring, way too long, I don't care for the music and on and on. Now this is all based on my present spiritual situation. There was a time, albeit a brief one, when I can remember going to church and even looking forward to it. That was probably over 15 years ago. Not exactly sure what happened that put out that fire or desire but it just extinguished. I believe that all of the things that we go through in life (good and bad - especially bad) can taint our view of why we do what we do. I am sure that when people close to me died, I felt really ripped at God, (looking back now - especially at the time of my Dad's, Mom's and sister's death). Maybe by the time John passed away I was either desensitized or a little more grown up in my faith (hmmmm), probably the former, because I feel I still have lots of growing up to do in the latter. Do I blame God for that? I probably did, but then figured that if God loved me so much it is not His will that we have these really negative thoughts toward Him. So as far as growing in my faith, No I can honestly say I am not there. Searching? Yeah. But that is only part of what I need to do. Doing is really the hardest part. Like I have said in previous posts or comments I can do a lot of things when I set my mind to it, (I need the challenge of others and from myself - what motivates me), but there is always something else that is more appealing than that actual goal. Kind of like it says in Galatians 5:7-10 At one point I was running a good race, stumbling here and there but getting right back up so as to finish it. Now, I have taken the fork in the road, and this road is broad and we know what happens to those who enter it. It is not an easy road to get off once you are on it either!

No comments: