Thursday 21 June 2007

Thursday's Trying Times

Yesterday I left off venting about all the Christian literature out there. Just think how much money could be usefully used to spread the gospel around the world if we didn't spend so much money on this stuff. Yeah I know, there is money wasted on a lot of other things out there, but we can all do our own part. Okay, I have probably ticked you off or offended you enough I need to move on to rant #2 and possibly offend some more ;). Vent #2, is somewhat connected.

Remember the days when we used to have Bible studies and actually studied the Bible. Nowadays we pick some book by some author (self-help, or pardon the expression get rich quick prayer of Jabez book). Maybe we have strayed so far from the truth that we really don't have a clue what the truth is. We are so engrossed in what Dr. Phil or Oprah have to say on a certain subject that we come so close as to worship these people. They are certainly more entertaining (and they should be) than the Pastor on Sunday (yeah I know how would I know) I mean after all some people watch them (Phil and Opie) 5 days a week and only have to listen to the pastor once. You can tell I don't give a rip what either of them has to say regardless of the subject. If people had common sense they would come up with the same answers as they do.

Anyone interested in a Bible study, let me know (really, I am serious). I love conversation that makes me think. I used to hate to have to think, but now it gives me something to do. My head is no longer void (although maybe after reading my blogs this week you are thinking that hmmm maybe it is!) :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Just found your blog and Sundays entry caught my attention. Myself and my family attend a "large" church both in actual size and attendance (approx 2000 - 2500) on an average Sunday.We consider ourselves blessed to be able to attend a church that has taken the outlook you seem to be most opposed to.Our gym is used for blood donor drives, a weekly basketball practise and many other functions. The rationale/belief of our church is many people won't enter the church for a regular church function but if they are simply walking in the side door to their basketball practise they don't feel intimidated. As they walk in the side door they pass the info holders containing the pamphlets about summer day camps, upcoming music mornings, Easter musicals, Christmas musicals and on and on. Approx 150 community kids attend our summer day camps (5 weeks), Easter and Christmas attendance would average in total 7000 people. These are not regular attenders and many come by invitation, but many have attended some type of "non Christian" event in our building and found it to not be intimidating. Many of these people consider this their church and will be there for the special occassions and have somewhere to turn in need. I believe if one person finds Christ because we allowed someone to "rent" our gym then it was worth it - don't you?Next, I believe you generalize about large buildings/mortgages, but I assume you have some source of reliable information. Hopefully this puts perspective on your comments for the many people who many not have insight into church operations.No glory to anyone, simply to God, our church was debt free in 5 years with missions giving increasing in each of those years to in excess of one million dollars not including the huge projects funded in third world countries (vocational training centres/churches, etc).This is not included because people donated time, supplies etc which did not pass through the church books. I typically do not get overly concerned with controversial conversations, I believe you call it pot stirring, but for the sake of the many who may stumble upon your thoughts I felt it only fair they read the thoughts of someone who feels extremely blessed to be a part of a body of believers that is not short sighted about the size of buildings, boring sermons, styles of music and how much rent we charge to use the gym.But rather, if the sermon is boring maybe I need to listen closer, if the music is not my style, well that's okay cause it's someones and as kids pass through our doors starting in a a week I pray God will touch the hearts of them and their parents to feel they could belong there (by the way the nominal fee charged for day camps may or may not cover the food and the workers, but once again our philosophy is it opens a door that may not otherwise open).

Anonymous said...

amen amen amen to the last blogger!!

Mike said...

Thanks for the comments, I love to hear other people's opinions. We may not agree but as long as God is moving in people's lives to bring them to Him, that is the bottom line. As I said in Sunday's blog, yes people (who have rented the facility) can come to Christ, and that is awesome.
Thanks again.