Thursday 14 June 2007

Thursday's Torment

We know what the Bible says about divorce (see Matt.19, Mark 10 and I Corinth. 7). What are some of your thoughts on this? We can probably argue that abuse (both physical and verbal) would be grounds for divorce. How about unhappiness? I am sure some/most of you have seen marriages where you look at a couple who have either been married a short time or some who have been married 40 and 50 years and ask yourself, why the heck are these people married, (there are happier people in prison - maybe cause they are apart from their spouse j/k). Is unhappiness and the unwillingness to work at a marriage grounds for divorce? Let me put it another way. Would you stay in a marriage where you were extremely miserable and you and your partner were unwilling to try and work it out? Is your decision based on the Bible, or at that point do you even care, you just want out! So many factors may help you make the decision (there are kids involved, what will family/friends think, there will be financial hardship, I will lose the house, I will have to get a job, who will get the kids and I am sure there are more). I know most of us probably believe that God can see us through any and all situations, including a miserable marriage. Does he want us to be miserable? I sure hope not. Maybe you have already had discussions similar to this with these questions, as I have had yesterday and many other times with friends. Feel free to comment anonymously if you are uncomfortable sharing your views. I guess in a sense my question to you may involve an answer that does not necessarily line up with scripture. There are lots of other topics we could cover that people deal with on a daily basis (pain and suffering, abortion, forsaking the poor, same sex marriage, etc). Maybe you have one you would like to discuss, this just happens to be one that came up today in conversation. Also, how do we (the church), minister to these people who make the decision to leave?
i would say a penny for your thoughts, but i know they are not that cheap.

No comments: