Wednesday 18 April 2007

Wednesday's whimper







Hard to believe it was a year ago this evening that I got a call from my brother John. He was supposed to phone me about ordering tickets for the Player's Golf Championship in Florida for May 2007. He said he would not be able to make arrangements at this time...then went on to tell me that he was diagnosed with cancer. Immediately my thoughts went back to 1998 when my sister Mary (46) was told in September that she had cancer...and how she would live only three more months. I tried not to cry while talking to John...thinking this just could not be happening. Every time tears welled up I put my thoughts on something positive. In the background it sounded like someone crying , and John saying "hey, none of that". He wanted to keep positive himself.

In so many ways I thought I had adjusted to John being gone but I still have two messages on my answering machine from almost a year ago that I still listen to every once in awhile. The positive from this whole experience was that John came to know Jesus Christ as saviour. The negative was watching him suffer so much over the next 5 months. What a horrible way to die.

Okay I am sure John would not want me to dwell on this issue so it is time to move on.

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

Mike,
I knew it was a year -- like I said to you I have a way of referencing stuff and that was one thing that I had in my mind. You know I think you've done well in adjusting -- it has been obvious how you enjoyed doing stuff with John and those times have changed. Remember the good -- and stay positive -- your older brother knew best! And having had the cancer experience I have had as well -- I agree there is nothing worse than watching cancer take hold and losing the person to it!
Sheryl