Monday 16 April 2007

Monday morning musings

When I said yesterday in my blog, "what is life all about"... I guess I have been thinking about life in general. Something that has been on my mind for a few months now is how "meaningless" life seems, and how there really has to be more than "this". Here is what I mean...We have become a society so caught up in the lives of everyone else that we are missing out on what God really wants of us. For example, we are so drawn into the lives of celebrities, musicians, and athletes, especially when they screw up (I guess it makes us feel pretty good about ourselves because surely we are not as bad as they are). For example, Anna Nicole-Smith...she dies and all people care about is who is the father of her baby. Who gives a rip. We care more about things that don't matter than things that have meaning. I look at it this with with celebrities and the media...when they screw up it is brought to light by the media for all of us to see ...makes me think of that Bible verse that says, "For nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light." Luke 8:17 NASB. The same applies to me and you in that all that we do will someday come to light...some of it here on earth for all to see...and all of it before God. That is very scary.

Most of us have probably thought, " I wonder what it would be like to be a famous actor, singer, athlete, etc". Make ten or 20 million dollars a year. Have so much money we could light cigars (sorry Tim) with our hundred dollar bills if we wanted to. On a much smaller scale we do the same things. We want the latest toys, nicer houses with three car garages for our two cars, new cars, designers clothes etc. Where does it all end? What comes to mind here is, "For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:36 NASB

If I won a million dollars in the lottery I would be thrilled...but we always want more. A lady from Manitoba a few weeks ago won the lottery and the year before she won it also. She did not stop playing the lottery, winning once was not enough, she wanted more. When a golfer wins the most prestigious tournament there is, there is an overwhelming sense of accomplishment... or when an actor wins an academy award for best actor or a team wins the Superbowl or Stanley cup there is that same sense of accomplishment...but then what? You are at the top of your game and more money than you know what to do with.
In the whole "scheme" of life and purpose what does it all mean when on that day we die and meet God and he says to us, "Why should I let you into heaven?" He won't be looking for your trophy's or all the wealth that we amassed. He is going to be looking at what we did with what he gave us. (SeeMatthew 25:14-30)


Obviously, I am not there myself, so hopefully I don't die today...because I think God would be pretty disappointed with me and what I have done with everything he has given me (knowledge, money, etc). How about you?

I am not rich compared to the movie stars, athletes etc...but compared to the guy in Africa or the girl in India living in extreme poverty I am quite rich. I would love to hear all your comments, whether you agree or disagree with what I blog.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Yes Mike, you have a way with the written word. Great thought provoking thoughts that reveal the true heart of most North Americans. Its all about me after all. Keep up the profoundness