Saturday 28 April 2007

Saturday's Symposium

Had an interesting lunch time discussion about people who tend to speak too long to the point where you are boring your audience so much that they start talking to each other. I guess this happened when some speaker at a grad in Flin Flon went on and on and on...you know the type. Somehow we got on to this discussion when I mentioned about going to grad's ( my opinion) what a waste of a good afternoon. Give me the diploma (in case I run out of toilet paper). I think we sometimes go a little to far ...after all a little knowledge can be a bad thing. I will let you know when i get a little ;) So my question here is how do you get long winded people to stop talking. I don't like hearing a story for the third or fourth time, even if it is told in a different way...same story...tell me once that's enough. The way I usually handle those long stories or stories that are told too freaking often...I just get up and leave. Believe it or not I wanted to be a cook or a chef, but I never stayed long enough other than to just stir the pot ;)~ I guess we all have topics that bore us to tears...I have so many in those categories that my mind starts daydreaming after the first few minutes. Can't wait to hear your advice on this one readers :)

4 comments:

Sheryl said...

Well then.... again......
You know me -- I'm on side with you all the way on that one. Maybe you should be a chef -- pot stirrers are always needed -- things would be pretty blah if it wasn't that way... all the good stuff would sink to the bottom - or would it?

As I've been too busy to get on the computer the last few days I just caught up reading your rantings etc -- remember -- I get the publishing rights....

S

Anonymous said...

Yes Mike you definately are a great pot stirrer!

I get it about the incessant and drawn out talking but what about poor old gals like me who forget if they have told the story and retell it?

I get it about the incessant and dra... oops already said that. Sorry.
deb

Mike said...

Maybe I could just make a pot stirring gesture when you tell a story over and over, or I could get up and leave, hmmm or say that is not how I remember that story the 6th time I heard it...it is sounding better all the time :)

Anonymous said...

Now that is a good idea. I will watch for the gestures :).
d