Tuesday 19 January 2016

Obituary, Funeral and Humour

Now that I have your attention, I do not plan on dying anytime soon, but I know full well that it certainly could happen at anytime.I have talked about writing my own obituary, but still have not done so yet. I think a good reason to write one is so that others will not have to when I am gone...not that they would not be accurate about what they say. However, I have been to enough funerals and read many obituaries that I know what I do and do not want to say or have said either at my funeral or in my obituary. I do not want written in my obit that I liked to travel, or play golf, or loved going to work (this one is really not true at all (Just seeing if you are paying attention) - I would love to be retired and not go at all). It is always good to add humour (with 2 U's) in spite of all the sadness that takes place at the time of a passing of a loved one. What I would rather have written is I prayed for family and friends that they would experience Jesus Christ to the fullest as their Lord and Saviour. I also hope that if people speak at my funeral that they would simply say He loved the Lord and lived a life that backed it up. (I am not there yet, but I am working on it). I do want my funeral to be mostly upbeat. I should record a video and it can be shown at a certain time during the service and I can take roll call and see who is present....just to break the ice. I suppose at some point then I could call out my name, and just to see if people are paying attention, and then answer for me. I could tell a couple of jokes after all I always wished I had enough talent to be a comedian. Then I would conclude with a real upbeat song,... don't worry I won't be singing it.

I will admit that death is on my mind a lot as I think of the family who have died before me and think that there is little time to do what God wants of me, so I need to be available and obedient all the time even unto death.

No comments: